Monday, January 31

Penguins, penguins, penguins

I love this unit! Penguins are just so much fun. If only we had more time . . .
We read many non-fiction stories about penguins. We learned that a emperor penguin stands 4 feet tall! So we pulled out my yard stick and made a life size emperor penguin. Each child got a chance to compare themselves to the emperor penguin. Thank you First Grader at Last for this idea.
IMG_0712
IMG_0713
This activity came from Deanna Jump’s penguin unit. I was so impressed with how well my class did on this writing assignment. I let them use their post-it from our new learning as a resource.
IMG_0716
This one says, “Penguins have feathers. Emperor penguins are 4 feet tall. Penguins swim. Emperor penguins weigh 100 pounds.” WOW! You go Lilliana.
My kiddos decided they wanted to make rockhopper penguins and emperor penguins. They turned out so cute!
IMG_0715
Love this guy inspired by the First Grade Parade and First Grader at Last. My kids freaked when they learned he was a rockhopper penguin.
IMG_0684
Every class at our school has to complete a science fair project. EEEK, brings back awful memories of 7th grade. I hated science. I used the experiment from Deanna’s penguin unit. Here is our science fair board all ready for the judges.
IMG_0708
We learned that penguins stay warm because they have oil on their feathers and blubber.
IMG_0709
Penguin glyph (also from Deanna’s unit)
IMG_0734
IMG_0736
When I saw this on First Grader at Last I was so happy I had the book Pink! These turned out just darling!
IMG_0739
Photobucket

1 comment:

Marlana said...

I love everything about this post! Thanks for sharing what you're doing in your classroom. I'm definitely going to use the freebie and sticky notes idea for There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed Some Snow. Thank you!!!

Blessings,
Marlana
Lil' Country Kindergarten

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...