Thursday, January 19

The snowy day

During reader's workshop we used the book The Snowy Day to respond to literature. Here are some of the activities we did. We made text-to-self connections. They drew Peter in the snow and then they drew themselves in the snow. They loved this activity. You can find this in my Wintery Fun Unit on TPT.

The next day we made a story map. As I mapped out the story on our large story map, they got their clip boards and made their own story map along with me.


The story map is in my wintery fun unit.

Another day we sequenced Peter's snowy day and used the story map to retell the story. We first did it together so I could model what I expected them to do. Then, they got to make their own story map.

The title was downloaded from Kinder Gals.

We are about to start my penguin unit. I love reading Tacky the Penguin with my kids. Here is a Tacky tree map for you. Click to download.


Photobucket

12 comments:

Freckleteacher said...

I really like your ideas for The Snowy Day! Thank you for sharing. I will check-out your unit!

Kelly B aka Queen Bee! said...

I love your story map headers. What font did you do them with? I'd love to do some for my classroom! Thanks!

kellybrown28021@gmail.com

Busy Bees said...

Love The Snowy Day ideas! Just read it the other day and the kids love that book. Thanks for sharing!
Robynn
BusyBees

laughinbrunette (Jennifer) said...

Love the Snowy Day...and these are some great ideas! Thanks for the Tacky freebie! =)
Jennifer
First Grade Blue SKies

Sarah said...

Very cute blog..glad I stumbled across you! (new follower) Come stop by for some math ideas and centers :)
~sarah
funintitlemath.blogspot.com

Mrs. Cupcake said...

I love your story map! I need to make myself one :) TY for the freebie!

A Cupcake for the Teacher

Shannon said...

So excited to find your Snowy Day ideas!! I bought a class set of Snowy Day books from Scholastic last year and haven't used them with my class yet!! Score!! I will definitely check out your unit on TPT!!

Randi said...

I just found your adorable blog and I'm your newest follower! I love what I am seeing. The fun and learning is so clear. Thanks for sharing your journey in the classroom!

I have a super cute Groundhog & Hibernation Freebie on my blog right now if you have time for a visit!

Randi @ Teach It With Class
My TPT Store
My Facebook Page

Wolfelicious said...

Love your ideas for The Snowy Day!

April
wolfelicious.blogspot.com

Mrs. Crowder said...

I think I was your first purchaser of this awesome packet and I have used Every piece of it! Thanks for sharing!

~Erica

www.sprinklestokindergarten.blogspot.com

Lee Ann said...

Thanks for the wonderful ideas for The Snowy Day. It will be perfect for my Title I kinder kiddos when we go back to school since we have a few inches of snow! Did you complete the illustrated story map first, and then the kids copied it? That's a cute idea. I only have 25 min. with my groups so I need to have a quick project; thinking the kids could complete theirs with me as I do it.

Maro's kindergarten said...

Hi! I'm stopping by to let you know that I loved yourworksheet and I featured it on my Snowy Day unit round-up! Come by to see the post here: http://maros-kindergarten.blogspot.gr/2013/01/blog-post.html I would love your feedback!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...