Tuesday, May 10

Weather

Thanks to blogging I was able do some really cute and fun stuff with my class for a weather mini unit.
I am in love with these adorbale umbrellas by Cara Carroll. They had to write onomatpoeia words on each raindrop to represent the sounds of weather. This is my example.


We've been singing this song to the tune of "If you're happy and you know it"

Made for 1st grade has a great weather unit. We wrote about bad wind and good wind after reading "The Wind Blew" by Pat Hutchins.


Then we learned about rainbows and made this cute guy, Roy G. Biv.

I used cloud people inspired by Babbling Abby to teach the kids about the different types of clouds. They show the varying heights and sizes.



This idea was inspired by Cara Carroll. We made a class book patterned after "Little Cloud" by Eric Carle. They made tear paper shaped clouds and finished the sentence prompt "My little cloud changed into . . ."







Photobucket

9 comments:

Katie Mense said...

OMG!!! I ♥ this stuff! Roy G Biv is adorable!! I'm thinking about doing Deanna's "Chit Chat" next year too! I was thinking that maybe I would laminate the poster and then use dry erase markers so that you could use them again instead of making them over and over again....especially since yours are so cute:)

Stephanie G. said...

Hi, where can I find the ROY G BIV paper you have at the bottom of your rainbow picture? It is so cute! I love your weather ideas! :)

Jessica said...

Stephanie it comes from the weather unit from Made for 1st grade. Check the link in my post.

Jen R. (The Teachers' Cauldron) said...

cute! I like the good and bad wind, since we live in FL, we should surely know about the good vs. bad!

http://theteacherscauldron.blogspot.com/

Queen E said...

I am excited to incorrporate these ideas into my weather unit coming up.

kindergartenwars.blogspot.com

Dynelle Dunn said...

I Love the ROY G BIV, can't wait to do it with my kiddos!
Dynelle
http://firstgradefunmrsdunn.blogspot.ca/

Shelley Menhennet said...

I loved your ROY G BIV idea so much I did it with my Grade 1 children. Here is the link to my blogpost where I have linked to your blog and shown my children's work on display at our art show.
http://thebackartroom.global2.vic.edu.au/2013/12/08/grade-1-roy-g-biv-at-the-cambridge-primary-school-art-show-2013/
Thanks again for the great idea.
Shelley
Wyndhamvale
Victoria
Australia

Nathalie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Nathalie said...

I had my preschoolers make a ROY G. BIV this year, and they loved it. I like your cloud class book! I just might do that next week :)

Thanks for sharing!

Preschool For Rookies

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...